Monday, December 14, 2009

Ed and his Maverick Chicken


From a chapter about strange laws in the United States Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader 2009 page-a-day calendar stated in Quitman, Georgia, It is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.

Quitman is in south Georgia, just ten or fifteen miles east of Valdosta.

My lifelong friend Ed, on his second time around, married Judy. It so happened that Judy and Ed moved to Quitman and acquired some land. Judy works as a nurse in Valdosta and Ed is retired and does things around the house.

It also so happened Ed built a chicken fence, chicken coop, and bought some chickens. All but one of the chickens do as they are suppose to do, which is to stay in the fence and lay eggs.

But one chicken refuses to conform. Every time Ed catches the chicken and throws it back in the chicken yard. Soon it will be out again. The last I heard, that non-conformist chicken was getting on Ed’s nerves.

I wonder if the chicken knows it will be breaking the law if it crosses the road? And it might get arrested and thrown in jail?

It probably does, and isn't worried about it. After all, he is pretty good knowing how to escape.

Why would a chicken cross the road anyway?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PR said...

JUST TESTING TO SEE IF MY PASSWORD WORKS.
PR

PR said...

IT DOES. THIS TIME PR
ARE YOU FEELING BETTER?

Eddie said...

When I don't use a last name or a full name, there is a reason.

Eddie said...

I'm still sick and and we had to call 911 to get my mother-in-law up, she fell today and I was afraid I might do damage to her back if I tried to get up in an upright postion.